Monday, April 8, 2013

Stone Brewing Company - Ruination IPA

"So called because of the "ruinous" effect on your palate! This massive hop monster has a wonderfully delicious and intensely bitter flavor on a refreshing malt base. One taste and you can easily see why we call this brew "a liquid poem to the glory of the hop!" Those who seek, crave and rejoice in beers with big, bold, bitter character will find true nirvana in Stone Ruination IPA" 

                                              Stone Brewing Company



Brewery: Stone Brewing Company
Beer: Ruination
Style: Double IPA
ABV: 7.7%

      Calling this beer a hop monster couldn't be closer to the truth. Attacking your palate with 100+ IBU's (International Bittering Units) it truly has a "ruinous" effect. I almost instantly fell in love with this beer after the first time I tried it. It pushed my palate to the limits, to a place where little hoppy angels fly around, a kind of hop heaven. OK so maybe not there but the hops are abundant in this beer. However, the extreme hoppiness compliments the malt base almost perfectly. 

         Ruination holds a close place to my beer heart as it was a staple in my expanding craft beer tastes. During my Ruination run I would go to the store and pick up a new bottle or two, ones I've never tried before, and then Ruination. It is available almost everywhere craft beer is sold - especially in San Diego - and became my comfort beer for a long time. It is also a fun beer to introduce to non-craft beer drinkers too. Seeing their bitter beer face after their initial taste is pretty entertaining and that is when you realize your palate is well educated in all things hoppy. 

      
          My pours as of late have not been the best and sometimes I feel that I don't do the beer justice with a lousy pour, to that I apologize, they will get better. Ruination boosts a hoppy aroma, full of zesty grapefruit hints. The body is sexy, a beautiful white head atop the golden hue. Then the power of Columbus and Centennial hops hit your palate with a smooth and bitter flavor to match the great malt base. Hop heads rejoice, this beer is for us! Cheers!

Aroma: 7
Appearance: 4
Flavor: 9
Palate: 4
Style Rating: 9/10
Overall: 24/30

 

No comments:

Post a Comment