Monday, April 22, 2013

Green Flash - Palate Wrecker

"Palate Wrecker was originally brewed for the Hamilton’s Tavern 2nd Anniversary celebration. It’s the most complicated West Coast–inspired IPA we have ever brewed—mashing and sparging with hopped wort, in addition to our hop layering regimen for IPA. By popular demand, it is now released for the world to enjoy."

                                                - Green Flash Brewery


Brewery: Green Flash Brewing Company
Beer: Palate Wrecker
Style: Double IPA
ABV: 9.5%

With the amount of new breweries opening up in San Diego, such as Mad Lab, Thorn Street and Saint Archer, I find myself rushing to try their newest beers and in doing so, bypassing some of the older and more established beers. These new breweries are striving to make a name and are taking craft beers to a whole new level, with Mad Lab's Succubus (a tasty Mango Blonde) and Thorn Street's Smuggler's cove (an Agave Amber), its easy to get caught up in the frenzy. I knew that in doing this blog, I would have to revisit some old favorites, sucks to be me right? Hah! But what I didn't know was how much my palate has matured and has come to appreciate some of these older beers that I had taken for granted. 

I've had Green Flash's Palate Wrecker many times before and always placed it as a SOLID beer. But I didn't really recognize the exquisite flavors contained in this beer until I recently re-tasted it. Placing a number value on certain categories helps me see things in perspective The aroma is everything you want in a west coast style double IPA. Hop heavy with hints of grapefruit and pine while the body flaunts its stark amber hue and creamy white head. Palate Wrecker delivers with piney, floral and grapefruit flavors and ends with a bitterness that surely does wreck thy palate. Any beers that are drank immediately after Palate Wrecker do not taste the same as this beer truly lives up to its name. 

Aroma: 8
Appearance: 4
Flavor: 8
Palate: 4
Style Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment