Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mad Lab Craft Brewing- Anarchy IPA

"Citrus flavors, bitter, light and refreshing"

                                           
                                    - Mad Lab Craft Brewing



Brewery: Mad Lab Craft Brewing
Beer: Anarchy IPA
Style: IPA
ABV: 7.1%

One day a co-worker, who knows my love of craft beer,  asked if I had ever heard of a brewery called Mad Lab. Up until then I hadn't, so she went on to tell me how the bottle, with its white label and molecular structure background, impressed her. During lunch at K-Pasta in Imperial Beach, I noticed a bottle that was similar to what was described and had to try it. It ended up being Rebel IPA, Mad Lab's tasty session-style IPA. The bottle was different, the beer was solid and now my intrigue peaked. 

Mad Lab is the first brewery to open up in the South bay, a place I hold dear to me since I grew up in Chula Vista. Located off of the 905, Mad Lab Craft brewing is a quaint brewery that welcomes all craft beer drinkers with care and comfort that is unmatched. Head brewer Mike McFarland and his wife Daphne host their tasting room like Cheers, where everyone knows your name, and creates such a personal and friendly environment you just don't get with bigger breweries. 

Mike continues to push the limits on his recipes while also creating new and flavorful beers. While I was there, my favorite beer on tap was their delicious oatmeal stout, Gatekeeper, and I cannot wait until that is brewed again. Being a hop head, I had to try their Anarchy IPA. The body pours out sexy and models its golden amber hue like a professional. Its creamy white head expels strong citrus, lime and pine hints. The initial taste are full of fruit and floral flavors that dances gracefully with its light spicy malt base. Anarchy is refreshing and light but still packs a hoppy bitterness enjoyed by all hop heads. A solid IPA and a must try. Mad Lab's motto "where science and art co-exist in one pint" are hard words to live by but they pull it off with Anarchy. 

Aroma: 7
Appearance: 4
Flavor: 7
Palate: 4
Style Rating: 9/10
Overall: 22/30



No comments:

Post a Comment